MICHAEL O. OSUNGUNNA
MICHAEL O. OSUNGUNNA
Dept of Pharmaceutics, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Faculty of Pharmacy, Mobile: +2348058872449; +2347087636688
Obafemi Awolowo University,
Ile-Ife, 220005, Nigeria.
My academic and career interests are in the field Pharmaceutical Microbiology and Antibiotics resistance. I have authored several publications in both local and international peer-reviewed journals, majority of which have been on screening medicinal plants for antimicrobial activity with a view to getting better, effective and efficacious alternatives to conventional antibiotics to which resistance had been developed. My Masters of Philosophy project was on evaluating grapefruit seed extract and juice for anti-adhesion and antibiotic modulatory activity with a view to providing information on the possible mechanism(s) of action of grapefruit seed extract and juice in the management of urinary tract infections. My PhD work dealt with the development and use of Nanostructured Lipid Carrier containing chitosan (NLC-Chitosan) against free cells and biofilm of Escherichia coli towards controlling of catheter-associated urinary tract infections. I am a highly-motivated, goal-driven individual with passion for excellence and quality research. I am highly skilled in the art of research planning, execution and reporting.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Pharmaceutical Sciences
- School of Pharmaceutical Sciences of Ribeirão Preto,
- University of São Paulo, Brazil (2015-2019)
Master of Philosophy (M. Phil) Pharmaceutics
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria (2011-2014)
Master of Science (M. Sc) Pharmaceutical Microbiology
- University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria: Sept 2001-Aug 2003
Bachelor of Pharmacy [B. Pharm]
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria (1990-1996)
- Osungunna, M. O. and Onawunmi, G. O. (2016). Anti-adhesion and Antibiotic modulatory evaluation of grapefruit (Citrus paradisi) juice and seed extract on bacteria isolated from urine and catheter. J Pharm Pharmacogn Res 4(1): 25-38.
- Osungunna, M. O. and Onawunmi, G. O. (2016). Antimicrobial Activity of Grapefruit (Citrus paradisi) Seed Extract and Juice against Bacteria Associated with Urinary Tract Infections. University of Lagos Journal of Basic Medical Sciences 3(6): 44 – 49.
- Osungunna, M. O. and Adeyemi, A. V. (2016). Asymptomatic bacteriuria: occurrence and antibiotic susceptibility profiles among students of a tertiary institution in Ile-Ife, Nigeria. African Journal of Microbiology Research 10(15): 505 – 510
- Osungunna, M. O. and Oyajoju, T. O. (2016). Used Toothbrushes: Microbial Evaluation and Antibiotic Susceptibility Profiles of Associated Bacteria. British Microbiology Research Journal 15(2): 1 – 9.
- Osungunna, M. O. and Onawunmi, G. O. (2018). Antibiotic resistance profiles of biofilm-forming bacteria associated with urine and urinary catheters in a Tertiary Hospital in Ile-Ife, Nigeria. Southern African Journal of Infectious Diseases 33(3): 80 – 85